Magic mushrooms or psilocybin mushrooms are ones grown in the wild that contain psilocybin, a chemical that is hallucinogenic and psychoactive. It is not addictive in nature. Commonly psilocybin is used as a recreational drug, it is the usage of more drugs together to attain an alternative state of consciousness either for pleasure or casual purposes. It is commonly mixed with certain foods and drinks before consumption. The composition of magic mushrooms varies based on the concentrations of each chemical. The fundamental component is psilocybin which later converts into psilocin which produces a psychoactive effect. Panaeolussubbalteatus. A part of the magic mushroom species has the highest amount of psilocybin. It is part of a Schedule 1 substance indicating high potential for abuse and having no medical purposes, given by Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Some other names for these magic mushrooms are shrooms, mushies, golden tops, liberty caps, philosopher’s stones, liberties, etc.
The effects of shrooms
- It activates the serotonin receptors affecting the functioning of the brain regarding the mood, perceptions, and cognition aspects.
- It not only causes auditory and visual hallucinations; it also distorts the views and perception of objects for some people. The effects usually occur within 30 minutes of consumption.
- It can trigger psychotic episodes.
- Some physical effects are drowsiness, headaches, increased heart rate, and blood pressure. Dilated pupils, nausea, etc.
- Some other mental effects can be euphoria which is an intense state of happiness and joy, having spiritual experiences, paranoia, a distorted sense of time and reality, anxiety, etc.
Some factors that influence the effects of shrooms
- The emotional state of the person consuming
- The environment
- Past traumas and experiences
- History of mental illness
These magical mushrooms have been used for many years back mostly for religious and spiritual purposes. It was believed by many that these naturally occurring drugs like shrooms, marijuana, and mescaline are herbs that are sacred enabling people to attain a spiritual state.
Now in many places, dispensaries have been set up like there is one in Vancouver which is a online shrooms mail order dispensarys through which necessary patients with illnesses that can be cured by magic mushrooms can have access to the micro doses of the drugs. But selling dried psilocybin is illegal. Denver and Oakland have decided to decriminalize mushrooms. It is meant for people with health conditions such as PTSD i.e., post-traumatic stress disorder, sleeping disorders or insomnia, migraines, anxiety, even cancer, etc.